Friday, March 04, 2011

Owen just finished his first season of basketball. The first practice was so hard for him and sooo hard for me to watch. The other boys had all obviously played before and just had that natural athletic talent so poor Owen felt so out of place. The first drill was to dribble down the court and back and he was so embarrassed, he just kept losing control and getting so frustrated. He spent the whole hour on the verge of tears, rolling his tongue around the inside of his cheek. I just wanted to run out there and rescue him, and I cried on the way home. He is still my baby boy- it just hurt me to see him so uncomfortable, but I just had to let him go through with it. By the third practice he was fine, I don't think he ever said a word to his coaches or any other player but he learned to play and wasn't clinging to my leg. He scored his first basket at his very last game- T and I both looked at each other and almost cried. It was so fun to watch him, can't wait for soccer, where I am sure we will go through the whole process again. Love that kid.



always distracted by the buzzer













4 comments:

Janessa said...

Yay! An update from the Rohm's:) It's good to hear from you. I'm glad Owen (and you) are surviving his basketball season. It is so hard to watch your kids struggle. It's so rewarding to watch them learn and grow and know that it benefited them in the end. Way to go Owen! Good luck with soccer!

Adriana said...

thats so great he's struggling through it voluntarily, what a great life skill he's practicing. such a difference when parents force kids into hobbies.

foreveryoung said...

Oh that is so hard, I'm so glad it ended well and that he is stronger for it. That's amazing that he went from not being able to dribble to scoring a basket! It must be your mad church basketball skills rubbing off on him ;)

Cherie Dick said...

Way to Go Owen!!! What a good mother to let him grow and have that experience. That would have been really hard for me too. I love the picture of Leah and Sarah at Pumpkinland. We need to hang out again :D