Monday, March 30, 2009

Frugal Friday

I am proud to admit that I am a DI shopper. If you can stomach your way past the unique musty smell you too can come to love this great store. I have always loved finding a great deal and love the "hunt". DI has it all, and it is always an intresting experience. A lot of times I go and find nothing, but sometimes I come across something awesome and it just makes my week. A couple years ago I found this brand new (the tag from the furniture store was still attached!) cute glass fronted cabinet , that happened to match my brand new kitchen table- for $90.00! I have even bought some things and then turned around and sold them on Craig's list.
I used to cringe when I thought of buying clothes at DI, but now I buy all of Leah's jeans there. I always find nearly brand new baby Gap or Children's Place jeans and pants for like a buck. I do have my limits some stuff is gross and have seen better days, and some things are so ugly, but the hunt is half the fun.
I even have a DI shopping list that I am always adding to. So when I go I check for the things that I want- currently on the list- a deep fryer, a Le Creuset enameled dutch oven ( a girl can dream- right), a copper fire bowl, pretty pottery and flower pots, Geo trax train pieces- to add to Owen's set, and dollhouse furniture for Leah.
So if you want to join me in some great bargain hunting, I have been going on Friday around 1:30 ish, even if you don't think you will buy anything it makes a great free activity for the kids- where else are kids allowed to "test" all the toys- just make sure to sanitize hands on the way out :)

5 comments:

Adriana said...

I hear SAVERS in Provo is a good place to hit up as well. Then again, you may have to battle w all the BYU kids scrambling for costumes for theme parties...

Rohm Family said...

no thrift store in Provo is worth visiting- the people who donate are poor college students, everything looks as if it has been in and out of DI about 5 times :)

foreveryoung said...

I had to laugh, because growing up with 10 kids we became regulars at DI and I was always so emberassed (when Tyler was mad at me he would yell, "Jamie shops at DI" while we were walking to school). I never thought the day would ever come when I actually loved DI and Savers! I think you're right, it's the thrill of the hunt.

Janessa said...

You are cracking me up! I love your "hunting" approach. It is exciting to find a great find at a thrift store (too bad Iowa doesn't have a DI). It can get stressful trying to dig around for treasures when your kiddos tire out before you do. It sounds like your kids are being well trained with weekly DI outings though. Way to start them out young:)

Laura said...

Wesley, your blog is one of my favorites to read. Each post is always so entertaining! I used to shop DI all the time and haven't been for a few years. Maybe I need to start going again with you. Looks like I missed my opportunity today.....maybe next Friday! :)