Monday was a down day for maddie and I. We did all the stuff people think stay-at-home moms do but they actually never get to -unless they are prego. We slept in, took a hot bath and watched TV, read paperback novels, took naps, and ate take-out food. It was just what we needed :) Tuesday Maddie and I ventured out to explore the town of Reading, where we are staying. There is a huge outdoor/indoor mall that is a lot like the Gateway in Salt Lake. A couple old churches with beautiful stained glass windows and cobblestone roads. Today Maddie and I braved the railway and the underground on our own into London. I was kinda nervous going into the city by myself. I straped Maddie to my body and slung the stroller over my shoulder and we were off. Maddie and I saw Westminster Abbey up close- I was sad to find out it was closed today. Then we walked about a mile to Buckingham Palace and got lost in the huge gardens that surround it. Poor Maddie froze her little tail off in the stroller so I ended up wrapping her up in my scarf and putting her in the sling for the rest of our walk. When I finally found the National Gallery I was so relieved- it was so so cold out there, and I was so tired from walking two hours. The Gallery was so beautiful. I saw Van Gogh, Seurat, Monet, Raphael and so many other great artists works. I loved the 17th century impressionist paintings, they were so amazing. Seurat made me cry- I was so overwhelmed with the beauty. It was kinda funny- everytime we walked into another room everyone would turn to look at Maddie and smile and wisper to each other and coo at her. Even amongst all this world famous art people are still more in awe of an infant. God's creations speak to us at a different level than man's. Anyways... I was planning on hopping back on the tube and heading back over to St Paul's and a quick pop in to the Tate Modern, but I just had zero energy and couldn't bear taking sick little Maddie out into the blistering cold wind again. It was already dark so I did a really quick walk down the theatre district which was a zoo and then hopped back on the tube and took it to the train station and back to Reading. I met T and a colleague of his there and we went to a delicious Nepalese restaurant for dinner. I am looking forward to another long hot bath with hot chocolate and donuts tonight. Here are a few pix from today.
Dran- as for all the laundry. Traveling 16 hours with a sick baby makes a lot of laundry plus she threw up all over our sheets twice in the night ( we are not at a hotel) and T needed all his clothes done. I have another 3 loads to do tomorrow too :)
I probably won't make it into the city again until Friday when we head out from there to go to Paris. It is supposed to rain and be really cold Thurs and Friday and Maddie and I both now have colds. Maddie is such a pill at night, she is still on Utah time so her longest stretch of sleep is from 4:30 am to 11:30 am (London time). She cries for hours because she is bored and sick and T an I are about at our witts end. I think I'll "sleep" with her on the pull out tonight so he can get some sleep. Let's see if I can stay up till 4 watching BBC with Mad-pie.
7 comments:
The pictures look wonderful. Your kids are doing great. Owen did have an ear infection, but it is all taken care of and he's a real trooper. Enjoy every moment of your trip.
I love that you are out solo adventuring! Sorry it's so cold :( Your pics are beautiful and tell T he should do more of his own laundry, you have baths to take and chocolates to eat!
Isn't that what all stay at home moms do??? That is what I do everyday:). Keep updating, I love hearing about your trip!!
Wow! I didn't realize you weren't in the middle of the city--that is quite a solo adventure w/ a 2 month old!
Way to go Wes! Your pictures even look cold, I can only imagine. Sorry about getting sick. Hopefully you are better now. Can't wait to hear more.
Okay, I was beginning to think Maddie was a crazy pod baby until I read the last paragraph. When you were talking about your down day, I was trying to picture you lounging in a bathtub or reading books with a perfect newborn just sitting quietly for hours. And I was getting so depressed thinking that I only have a Maddie and my days are NEVER like that. So it's a little nice for me to know that she's a normal baby. With that said, I will now begin to feel pity for you having a sick baby and hope that you two feel better. And I agree with Margaret. I got cold just looking at those pics.
Bummer about the sleeping (or lack of), but isn't it nice that atleast you don't have 2 other kids to take care of on top if it? It's nice that you're going to be there for so long that you can take advantage of the down days. Hopefully it warms up, though!
Post a Comment